General surgery, despite its name, is a surgical specialty that focuses on surgical treatment of abdominal organs, e.g. intestines including esophagus, stomach, colon, liver, gallbladder and bile ducts and the thyroid gland, hernias, breast etc.
- Excision of small skin lesions such as lipomas, papillomas, moles, Basal Cell Carcinomas (BCCa).
- Sebaceous cysts are removed under local anesthetic as outpatient procedures.
- Larger lesions such as big lipomas, malignant melanomas, skin grafts etc. are removed under general anesthetic as day cases.
- Breast biopsy, excision of benign lumps, breast abscess.
- Mastectomy (Total and segmental) for breast cancer.
- Gastrectomy for cancer of the stomach.
- Vagotomy – Pyloroplasty for Duodenal ulcer.
- Suture of perforated gastric or duodenal ulcer.
- Hiatus Hernia procedures.
SMALL AND LARGE BOWEL:
- Small bowel obstruction and release of adhesions.
- Segmental or total colostomy from malignant or benign diseases with temporary or permanent colostomy.
- Open and Laparascopic Appendicectomy.
ANAL AND PERIANAL AREA:
- Hemorrhoids. Surgical and non-surgical treatment.
- Fissure in ano.
- Fistula in ano.
- Anal and Perianal abscess.
- Pilonital abscess, sinus abscess.
- Epigastric hernia.
- Umbilical hernia.
- Inquinal hernia.
- Femoral hernia
- Incisional scar hernia repair by synthetic mesh.
- Laparascopic repair for Inquinal hernia.
- Open no tension repair for Inquinal Hernia.
- Subtotal or total thyroidectomy for benign and malignant disease.
- Varicose veins, surgical and non-surgical treatment.
LIVER AND GALL BLADDER:
- Liver biopsy, partial Hepatectomy.
- Liver abscess.
- Open and Laparascopic Cholecystectomy.
- Obstructive jaundice due to stones or other causes.
LAPAROSCOPIC PROCEDURES PERFORMED IN THE BLUE CROSS MEDICAL CENTRE:
- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
- Inquinal hernia repair
- Release of adhesions
- Ovarian Cysts
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Inquinal, umbilical, femoral hernia.
- Circumcision for phimosis.
- Undissected testicles operation.
- Dr. Antonios Economides MD, F.R.C.S Glasgow
- Dr. Aristos Georgiou MD
- Dr. Demetris Polidorou MD